Age Group: 65-69
Bearing in mind the under mentioned, Barb has achieved everything so far without any financial sponsorship. She is hoping that someone will help her in the future. She can be contacted by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Barb or Barbs, as she prefers to be called, had breast cancer 15 year’s ago. She lost both her parents before having her two children, Samuel & Phillippa, and wanted to get fit for her grandchildren – she is now a grandmother to two boys and one girl. She started running and took part in two London Marathons, sponsoring Cancer Research (Children with Leukaemia) and Help the Aged. She joined the New Forest Runners and has great time training with them.
When she reached 59 she started doing Sprint Triathlons, her first being in Antigua on a hired mountain bike, which had a slow puncture! After winning the over 40’s age group, she “got the bug”. Primera, in Bournemouth, built a Cervelo Bike to fit her and she was off. You will see below her summary of success, which is unbelievable, considering she has only been competing for such a short time, and had not even been on a bike since she was in her 20’s.
Her life really started after she retired in December 2009. She had spent most of her time, after work, watching and supporting her children, both of whom were very athletic, taking part in all games – Sam being a National Age Group Triathlete, and Philla continuing to play Netball and Hockey.
Her inspiration of them persuaded her to start her training schedule, which is 6 days a week, including getting up at 5.30am on Monday & Wednesday to swim in Bournemouth, running with the New Forest Runners on Tuesday & Sunday, and cycling during the meantime!
Barb has spent most of her life, as all mothers do, looking after her children and supporting them. She is very proud of them. Now it is their turn to be proud of their Mum.
Profession: Swimming Instructor/Staff Trainer. Retired from Swimming Instructor in 2010
Triathlon Distance: Sprint.
60 – 64 age group –
- 2010 – Silver Medal in National Championships.
- 2010 – Bronze Medal in Budapest – World Championships.
- 2011 – Gold Medal in The National Championships.
- 2011 – Gold Medal in Spain – European Championships.
- 2012 – Gold Medal in Israel – European Championships. The “icing on
- 2012 – Bronze in National Championships (same place as 2010)4 minutes faster this year.
- 2012 – 1st from 45+ age groups – Bournemouth Sprint tri 11th July. 78 out of 150 male and females, 15th Female overall.
- 2012 – 1st from 45+ age groups – Beaulieu Sprint tri 12th August. 42 out of 130 male and females, 5th Female overall.
- 2012 – 3rd in the 60-64age group – World Sprint Triathlon Championsh
ips New Zealand October
- 2014 – 1st in her age group (65-69) by over 7 mins – British sprint championsh
- 2014 – 1st by just under 7minutes in her age group (65-69) and would have finished 3rd in the 60-64)! in a time of 1.41.05 – Europeon SPrint Championsh
Goals: To do as well as possible in the Worlds this October, which are being held in Auckland, New Zealand. Train hard and to continue to take part in events building up to New Zealand.